Obagi products and how they can help with Melasma
Melasma - Effective Treats and Causes
Without adequate sun protection (and by adequate, broad-spectrum sunscreen), a person's skin can undergo rapid and lasting changes.
The mix of UVA and UVB rays are the biggest determining factors in the development and appearance of melasma spots and areas.
Causes of Melasma
MELASMA and CHLOASMA (Mask of Pregnancy)
A well-known sign of ageing is the appearance of brown patches and speckles on the skin. They can often come in various shapes and sizes. The shades and patterns of these brown patches can often vary tremendously.
These conditions are most common in women of a child-bearing age and can be a consequence of changes in hormones due to pregnancy and giving birth.
It has also been found that Fitzpatrick Skin Types 4, 5 and 6 are more susceptible to Melasma than the lighter skin tones. If you don’t know your Fitzpatrick Skin Type and would like to know more, book in with one of our Obagi skin specialists.
Causes of Melasma and Chloasma:
- Sun exposure
- Hormones effectors e.g. oral contraceptive pill
- Whilst it is true that some sun exposure is essential for the body to produce Vitamin A, on the whole, avoiding direct sunlight where possible is advised.
- At a technical level, melanocytes are the components that produce extra melanin. This results in speckled hyperpigmentation and brown spots.
- Critically, collagen and elastin are severely impaired by direct sunlight. This impairment undermines their ability to provide structure to the skin, leading to sagginess and wrinkles.
Treatment for Melasma
Obagi Medical Laboratories have spent tireless hours and dollars on researching the occurrence and remedies for hyperpigmentation and skin ageing.
Obagi Nu-Derm® Fx Systems are the main products within the range. It has been ranked one of the top dispensed skincare protocols by physicians. There is a stronger alternative of this range – to find out more, book a consultation.
The Nu-Derm Fx System is so effective because of the depth it is able to go into the skin. The combination of products work together simultaneously to amplify the results.
By working together, the products in the kit are able to noticeably minimise brown and dark spots. In addition, patients comment on much younger and vibrant their skin looks after a course.
The penetration deep into the skin by the products means that it can work effectively from the inside out and target the poor and damaged cells.
Key Areas the Nu-Derm System Targets:
- Age Discoloured Spots
- Skin ageing
- Discoloured skin and brown areas
- Skin lacking bounce and vibrance
- Unhealthy appearance and tone
The system comes in two variations:
- 1) A kit for Normal to Oily skin
- 2) A kit for Normal to Dry skin.
If you want to find out more and to discover if your skin is eligible for Obagi Nu-Derm Systems, book a consultation today with one of our Obagi specialists.
Reviewed by Rachel Lugo
Amazing results, Rachel!