Learn more about skin discolouration and how Obagi products can help
Skin Discolouration - What causes it, and what can be done about it?
The discolouration of the skin can happen for many reasons. However, on this page, we discuss one of the main reasons: the sun. Specifically, we'll look at UVA and UVB sunlight rays' impact on the skin.
Importantly, elastin and collagen are the two primary components of the skin that are adversely affected. If these two parts are damaged, this leads to a skin tone that is discoloured and uneven and can have physical defects such as sagging.
Causes of Uneven Skin Tone
As people age, there is various changes that occur in the human body. A well known one is the menopause. This is not the only time a woman’s body will undergo change. From puberty, through to post-menopause, changes are constantly occurring. If a woman gets pregnant during her life, the body will undergo changes too.
Three of the biggest contributing factors to skin tone and discolouration are:
- Sun exposure
Pregnant women often note that brown discoloured patches have occurred on their skin, despite being vigilant in wearing proper sunscreen and protection. This is because the surface-level skin change is occurring internally and is often referred to as chloasma or the ‘pregnancy mask’.
Facts About Tan
- Golden brown glowing skin has historically been seen as a sign of a healthy person, particularly in Western societies. However, in this section we are going to cut through the old wives’ tales and get to the truth.
- Even though it doesn’t hurt when the sun hits our skin, in fact it feels quite nice. The reality is, underneath, our skin cells are scrambling to protect themselves from the ultraviolet rays that are pouring onto it.
- To get technical for a moment, melanocytes are jumping into action. Melanocytes are the cells in the skin that produce the pigment called melanin. Melanin is the substance that causes the tanning effect on the skin.
- An abundance of melanin causes the tanning effect on human skin. Even though people think it looks pretty, in reality, it is actually a defensive reaction by the skin.
- An over production of melanin by the melanocytes is what causes the skin discolouration and dark patches.
- The problem doesn't just stop at the superficial colour of the skin, elastin and collagen are also damaged.
- Trauma to collagen and elastin causes a structural change in the skin and leads to sagginess and wrinkles.
How To Resolve Skin Discolouration
Skin Discolouration is one of the main research and development of Obagi Laboratories. Several hundred hours have gone into researching what causes skin discolouration, and how it can be resolved. Treatments for skin discolouration can come in a variety of forms, but one of the most effective is a combination of products within a structured skincare plan.
The Fx System by Obagi is a complete system designed specifically for skin discolouration. There is a prescription-only version of this system, that is prohibited to be discussed online. If you would like more information about this, you can book a consultation with one of our medically trained Obagi experts to explore if this option is suitable for you. This will only be offered if the practitioner believes there is an appropriate need for it in their professional opinion. This system cannot be purchased online, so please be careful when deciding to buy Obagi.
Obagi Nu-Derm® Fx Systems are so potent and effective because they use a combination of up to seven products that all work together to produce amazing results.
The Nu-Derm Portfolio is specifically designed for:
- Premature skin ageing
- Wrinkles and fine lines
- Skin tone discolouration
- Saggy and structurally compromised skin
- Skin that is bumpy and rough
- Colourless skin and hyperpigmentation
The Fx System comes in two variations:
- 1) Normal to Dry
- 2) Normal to Oily
To help decide which system is best for your skin, book a consultation with one of our Obagi product experts today.
Real Housewife of Cheshire Review